Saturday, December 31, 2011

I Wrote A Good Omelet

I wrote a good omelet...and ate
a hot poem... after loving you

Buttoned my car...and drove my
coat home...in the rain...
after loving you

I goed on red...and stopped on
green...floating somewhere in between...
being here and being there...
after loving you

I rolled my bed...turned down
my hair...slightly
confused but...I don't care...

Laid out my teeth...and gargled my
gown...then I stood
...and laid me down...

To sleep...
after loving you

"I Wrote a Good Omelet" is a humorous love poem that reflects the gaiety and dreaminess of being in love. This narrative poem has a fun playfulness to it; at first the reader is confused as to what is occurring, but we soon realize that we are supposed to be confused. The auditor is immersed in the inner thoughts of a person in this dream-like state: being in love turns your world upside down. The form of this poem is "longer, more prosaic, and frequently punctuated with ellipses" (http://www.enotes.com/wrote-good-omelet-salem/wrote-good-omelet). It contains no rhyme scheme but there is the repetition of "after loving you" at the end of each stanza. Although this poem's diction and syntax are not complex, Giovanni captures the sentiment of love using simple words (http://personalwriting.wordpress.com/2008/03/02/a-good-love-poem/). The three literary terms associated with this poem are prosaic, ellipse, and repetition. The prosaic style of the poem allows the reader to be transported into a story-like atmosphere in which content is placed above beautiful writing. The ellipses in part disrupt the fluidity of the story, but also contribute a sense of a list being read. Beginning with breakfast and finishing with sleeping, the person in the poem essentially provides a list of the different actions she had done that day. The list is laced with his or her continuous thoughts of love. Finally, the repetition of the phrase "after loving you" placed after the nonsensical swapping of actions demonstrates how her or his life has changed since falling in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment