Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Poem Of Friendship

We are not lovers
because of the love
we make
but the love
we have

We are not friends
because of the laughs
we spend
but the tears
we save

I don't want to be near you
for the thoughts we share
but the words we never have
to speak

I will never miss you
because of what we do
but what we are
together

Giovanni presents the multifaceted qualities of a relationship; the sides not usually verbalized or appreciated. "A Poem of Friendship" draws attention to the unspoken bond between the two people, which originates from knowing a person holistically: his or her habits, likes, and dislikes (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100419232342AAkAnUU). Like the characters Esteban and Manuel, twin brothers from the novel The Bridge of San Luis Rey, the couple knows each other so well that they become one unit, one identity: "I will never miss you because of what we do but what we are together" (lines 15-18). The three literary terms are open form, closed form, and enjambment. The first two stanzas are in closed form; there is a regularity in rhythm and line length. However, these aspects change in the third and fourth stanzas slightly in substituting the first word to "I" instead of "We" and altering the number of lines for five to four. The poem, in parts, is in closed form, but as a whole is open form because it lacks consistency throughout. Lastly, enjambment is used once again to promote fluidity.

No comments:

Post a Comment